Industry growth steady with planted acres, tonnage and a 9% sales increase leading the charge
Oregon’s wine industry continued to grow for the fourth consecutive year but at a more modest pace according to the 2015 Vineyard and Winery Report. Released today, the report indicates the number of vineyards operating in the state increased 2% to 1,052. Total planted acres also increased 2% and now sit at 28,034 acres. The total number of wineries crept up 4% to 702.
The report also shows that vineyard yields were up 8% in 2015 leading to an all-time record harvest of 84,949 tons. This growth is largely the result of more planted acreage and higher than average yields per acre. The most significant increase was seen in the South Willamette Valley and the Umpqua Valley. Similarly, the total number of grape tons crushed increased 5% to 73,518.
While all winegrowing regions saw growth in 2015, the North Willamette Valley continued to account for the largest sector of the Oregon wine industry, crushing nearly 75% of total fruit. Pinot noir also continues to lead as the number one variety accounting for 67% of vineyard production. This is followed by Pinot gris, Chardonnay and Riesling. However, Cabernet Sauvignon overtook Syrah for the fifth most planted and produced variety in Oregon.
As expected from information previously seen in 2015 ShipCompliant and Wines & Vines report on direct-to-consumer sales and the 2015 Nielsen data on scanner store sales, the report informs that case sales increased 9% to 3.1 million, with the largest channel increase coming from direct-t0-consumer sales – a 14% increase over 2014.
International efforts continue to be an important sector of overall sales. Canada proves itself Oregon’s largest international market with 44% of total export sales and an annual growth of more than 21% over the last two years.