From Sovos: The Direct-to-Consumer Wine Shipping Report is an annual collaboration between Sovos and Wines Vines Analytics examining wine shipments from wineries to consumers in the United States.
To create this report, Wines Vines Analytics developed an algorithm using its database of U.S. wineries to extrapolate all direct-to-consumer shipments from millions of anonymous direct shipping transactions filtered through Sovos’ ShipCompliant platform in 2018. The model tracks sales by winery region, annual production, destination of shipments, wine type (varietal) and price points. The result is the most accurate representation of the American direct-to-consumer shipping channel.
Highlights of the report covering 2018 stats include:
- Consumers spent $3 billion on DTC wine shipments, up from $2.69 billion in 2017
- Wineries shipped 6.3 million cases of wine, up 9%
- Oregon and Sonoma lead in volume growth at +19%, compare to 9% overall category growth
- 10% of domestic off-premise retail is shipped DTC
- Rosé is growing at 24% year over year
The report can be downloaded here.