On Sept. 22, 2020, OWB hosted a second conversation with experts about the challenges faced by growers and winemakers around the state due to fires.
Part 1: Handling smoke-affected fruit in the vineyard and the cellar
- What to expect in the vineyard regarding ripening and grape chemistries
- Testing capabilities available at OSU, expected processing timelines and sample submission instructions
- Collected data on smoke presence across AVAs; from sensorial, lab analysis and survey of industry
Part 2: Maintaining good grower-winery relationships in an emergency
The Oregon Winegrowers Association’s legal advisors offered suggestions to help growers and winemakers have productive conversations about subjects such as fruit acceptability and possible contract amendments.
- Patricia Skinkis, Viticulture Extension Specialist, Oregon State University
- Elizabeth Tomasino, Associate Professor and Sensory Analyst, Oregon State University
- Tom Collins, Assistant Professor, Washington State University Wine Science Center
- Jesse Lyon, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine
More Resources from the Webinar
- 2020 Grape Smoke Exposure Best Practices by Davis Wright Tremaine LLP – Thank you to Oregon Winegrowers Association