A Message from the Oregon Pinot Camp Organizers:
Dear Oregon Pinot Noir Producer,
Planning for Oregon Pinot Camp (OPC) 2019 is underway. The dates for OPC 2019 are Saturday, June 22 – Tuesday, June 25, 2019. OPC continues to be one of the finest educational and promotional trade events in the world attracting top wine buyers around the globe, and this year we will be celebrating our 20th year! More than 4,000 individuals have attended and learned about the wines, the place and the people responsible for establishing Oregon as a premier Pinot noir winegrowing region.
Our continued success depends on the year-long planning activities of the OPC Steering Committee and the active and collaborative participation of all OPC wineries. This starts with the crucial and first task to select the 52 wineries to host OPC 2019. We seek to have the 52 OPC wineries reflect the diversity of Oregon Pinot noir. And with that, you are invited to apply. The deadline for applications is September 29.
Criteria Used by the Committee to Select OPC Wineries:
- Reputation for producing great Oregon Pinot noir
- Active and full past OPC participation
- Wineries with expert panelists who can inspire and educate campers
- Wineries with facilities and staff to host and support an OPC seminar or dinner
- Wineries that provide volunteers and staff to participate on committees, assist setting up seminars and dinners at other OPC event sites, and act as Camp Counselors
- Wineries with a national presence and strong case production. OPC hosts campers from across the country and globe and its imperative that campers be able to source a wide range of OPC wines when they return to their home markets.
Requirements for OPC Wineries:
- Agree to attend an informational Town Hall meeting in January (ALL OPC wineries).
- Agree to have a winery principal and/or winemaker attend and/or pour your wines (if it is a tasting event) at the following OPC events:
– Saturday evening tasting and reception (June 22)
– Sunday morning opening workshop (June 23)
– Sunday evening tasting/dinner (June 23)
– Monday evening tasting/dinner (June 24)
- Nominate qualified buyers whose attendance would benefit all of OPC. Your nominations will be vetted by the invitation committee before an invitation is sent and subsequent confirmation is given. Additionally, each winery will receive “silver bullets,” which are confirmed spots, to use for trade members who will benefit all of OPC.
- Pay the $6,000 OPC 2019 fee on time in accordance with the fee schedule. (Please note: a $1,500 deposit is due with your application. Four payments of $1,125 will be invoiced on the 15th of the month in January, February, March and April. Your check will be returned if you are not selected this year.) Current costs to operate OPC are estimated to be more than $7,000 per winery in 2019. OPC is able to offer wineries a fee of only $6,000 based on its ability to collect a fee from confirmed campers ($190 per camper) and OWB grant money to fund international camper participation.
- Agree to comply with the OPC rules and activity agreements, including a commitment not to host any events that will compete for camper time and attention during the duration of OPC (Saturday evening to Tuesday afternoon).
Opportunities for OPC Wineries:
- Work collaboratively, with a minimum of two other wineries, to develop a unique Day Three event for up to 25 campers. Participating wineries take on financial responsibility for Day Three. For budgeting purposes, consider a $500 to $1,000 contribution per winery.
- Submit wine(s) for possible inclusion in seminars, and donate wine if selected.
- Participate in the wide variety of OPC activities ranging from bus counselors, committee participants, and seminar panelists.
- Participate in a pre-OPC event during the day on Saturday, June 22 (additional fee)
- Host a workshop or dinner if your winery is selected (additional fee)
- Required Town Hall attendance for selected wineries: January 16, 2019
- Required Workshop Rehearsal for selected panelists: June 14, 2019
- Required Counselor Meeting for selected counselors: June 19, 2019
The OPC Steering Committee will review all applications and choose the 2019 OPC wineries in October. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Morgen McLaughlin at the OPC o ffice. 503-292-0272.
We look forward to receiving your application as we plan for an outstanding OPC 2019.
Very best regards,
Chair, OPC Steering Committee